Monday, January 19, 2009

Numbers

My new meter came this week. I love it as much as I could love anything that requires my blood and then spits bad news back at me. I knew you really wanted to see a picture of it. I didn't think it would be much different than my old meter, but it needs less blood and the poker has lower settings which don't hurt as much. It also does a better job of organizing my readings, and it takes averages. I haven't looked into it yet, but I can buy software to go with this meter that uses food logs, readings, etc. to track patterns. It sounds great, but may be costly. I haven't looked into it yet. And it comes in a handy little organizer, to make me feel cool I suppose.

So numbers, they've been creeping up since I started recording them on here. I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday morning, with my old doctor. I am still on a waiting list for a new and improved doctor. I suspect my old doctor will ask about my numbers, I will give her my theories, she will agree and add more medicine.

And this week, (drum roll), the numbers are
Fasting 124
After Breakfast 210, 89 (I was tired of all my usual breakfasts and experimented with cinnamon puffins--it didn't go so well. The 89 was two pieces of Ezekiel toast and two hard boiled eggs)
After lunch (this is a bear of a time for me to remember....I never do)
After dinner 206 (slow cooker chicken, salad, 1 1/2 small read potatoes, and 1 1/2 pumpkin corn muffins--I think I was within recommended carb limits, but these particular carbs are very starchy)

When I post these numbers, do you feel totally confused? Do they have any meaning for you? Or do you just say, "Yea, Laura posted."

7 comments:

Amanda Irene said...

I get it.

and

yeah numbers!

Amanda Irene said...

what kind of feed back do you want?

chris k said...

Well, to be honest, I'm just glad that you post the numbers. I look for you to do that on Monday. I do know that 200 is pretty high, but my knowledge of diabetic readings is limited. Do you want me to read on it more for you?

Laura Wells said...

Amanda and Chris, I don't need any feedback from you two. You are awesome at commenting. I was just curious, if people who read this but never comment, like my parents or aunts or other friends, wanted me to repost an explanation of the numbers.

amber said...

Thanks for posting. Hope the dr's appointment goes well on Wed and you're able to get some good direction.

Jackie said...

I do read your numbers. And I am proud of you for still taking them and posting them. I know you posted once before where the numbers should be, but I forgot that part. So I guess I am confused a bit. But the confusion is on my end, not your end. I should go back and read your original post about diabetes ad numbers.

Jackie said...

One more thing...you holding yourself accountable for your numbers and keeping track of your diet is inspiring to me. It makes me want to hold myself accountable for things I don't like or am not good at. So while I may not understand your numbers, I do understand that you are trying, and they makes me want to try harder in areas that I struggle.