Saturday, September 27, 2008

How Much?

Before I get to the point of this post, let me just share that K had her first goal today.

Obviously, if you read this blog you know we are immersed in soccer. Both girls play, T coaches them both. And we are busy. So busy. For the past six years, I have watched other people be busy knowing that someday I would look back fondly on those leisurely days. Sure, having little kids can be tough. But we rarely had to be anywhere. Our schedules were quite open, especially since those six years included two cross country moves. And when you move, it takes awhile to get invitations to do anything.

I've been alarmed the last week at how busy we are. It's exhausting. I worry that if soccer is this busy now, what will it be like in a few years when the competition is fiercer and more cut throat. And I wonder how much activity is too much for a family? Obviously the answer varies based on money, number of children, hours of working parents, etc. I've met parents of multiple kids who think that children should engage in all their activities at home. They say there isn't enough time in a day to cart four different kids in different directions. I've met families of multiple kids where only one kid can have a sport or activity and then the next season a different kid gets a sport or activity. I've met families with two kids and both kids do three sports each.

There are so many great options out there: soccer, skating, gymnastics, dance, tae kwon do, art classes, Spanish classes, Chinese school, tennis, music lessons, choirs, bowling, acting classes, inventing classes, Bible classes, live like Laura Ingalls Wilder classes, and on and on and on. And at four and six, the girls don't really know what they are interested in nor can they read the choices so I get to pick. Do I pick what I love? Do I try and discover their strengths? (I've always thought K should take music lesson because from the beginning she has been much more responsive to music, noticing instantly how different music changes the mood whereas H as a toddler, danced the same dance, regardless of the type of music).

My initial philosophy for activity has been 1) Set a budget. 2) Once old enough and if the budget allows, each girls can choose one activity at any given time. 3) We try to discourage unnecessary changing of activities to teach commitment and to encourage them to actually get good at one sport or activity. I still like this initial philosophy but I do wonder. How important is all this activity? Do kids really need to be exposed to so much? Or if K never takes music will she be missing some great talent she could have had? I wish I wasn't the first of most of my friends to have kids so I could pick some brains. My major concern is that in participating in busyness, not only do we suddenly have to schedule time to connect but we aren't available to help people, to love them through times of need. It becomes harder for people to just drop by or to call with a need. And I really want to be able to love and serve people and teach my kids to do the same. It's time to start praying. Maybe He will speak through one of you. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

chris k said...

Laura, you are in the midst of the time crunch! Kraig and I decided that the boys could each join one activity per season. This was a great thing, until 5th grade tackle football began. Kaleb has football every night for almost two hours and it has put a halt on our lives. Trevor joined boy schouts and is enjoying the idea of scouts...it really starts Wednesday night. I agree with you that the kiddos need to learn committment and finish an activity. We struggle with the time issue, but I have seen both boys mature and become more responsible with each passing activity. At this point, our hectic schedules have been worth it. You and your family are on my prayer list and now I will specifically pray about this for you.