Sunday, March 29, 2009

Birthday Extravaganza


Hadley had her birthday party yesterday. I'm wiped out. I'm also blessed to have friends, childless friends who happily come to help out. (But who could resist a very serious 6-year-old pulling you aside and asking if you would please be in charge of some aspect of her party?) Hads invited 13 little kids, yes thirteen. We made the invitations while Hads was home sick one day. I intended to print the info on the computer to make them look nicer, but there was the little problem of the virus-stricken computer. In inviting, I failed to think through the all important step of how much space is there at the table? But I reasoned, surely two people won't be able to come. I was wrong. Everyone RSVPed affirmative. But one little girl never showed up; the kids said she was home sick from school on Friday. 
We started the shindig with crafts: floral crowns made with artificial flowers and leaves in 
one room, and yards for the little plastic pets in another. (By little plastic pets I mean those funny bobble-headed, tiny plastic animals that Hads loves, Littlest Pet Shops they are called and each child got one to take home. We made yards for them to play in --out of fabric, foil, and construction paper.)
Hadley came up with the crown idea and asked our dear friend Teagan to help. She made me looked organized and well-planned. She also thought up the yard idea and helped me find all the supplies for very little money. Really, Teagan and her husband Beau made the party extra special. They could help at parties for a side business. Hadley also decided that she wanted everyone to wear their PJs. Her menu included pancakes with strawberries, whip cream and syrup and ice cream. She didn't want a cake. 

After the crafts we had pancakes. We managed to fit all 12 kids in the dining room and served them. It took four of us, Cody, Laura, Tom and myself to get everyone what they wanted. 
Tom got up early Saturday to make a giant bowl of pancake mix and a smaller bowl of gluten-free pancake mix (for Kass). He wanted to play Ultimate Frisbee at the high school with
 the guys he always plays with. He promised every thing would be ready by the time he left at 8 a.m. and it was. The girls and I even went to Kassy's ballet class at 9:15, came home a little after 10 and had nothing to do but wait until 10:20 when the first guest arrived. 

After the pancakes, Beau
 did a juggling and magic show for us. There was lots of laughing, yelling, and a little screaming (what little girls don't scream?). Beau was great. 
Then we opened presents. I hate this part. But Hadley, of course, loved it. We had a good conversation the night before about the proper way to act at a party. We talked about what to say when you open presents, even if you already have the gift, or if you don't like it. We talked about the importance of being a good hostess, of making sure your guests are having fun and feel comfortable. They were good lessons and
 taken to heart by my young birthday girl, who was full of good manners and profuse thank yous. But I still hate all the junk that comes. The presents are nice and even thoughtful. But the girls get
addicted in the days after the party to constantly wanting something new to do 
or play with. I don't think a birthday party helps combat the constant state of the gimmes these little kids are stricken with. Next time I think we might take the no-gift approach. 

There were a few funny moments at the party, where it was clear the curriculum at their school was exceptional. Like when they all sang Happy Birthday in English and Chinese. Or when during one or two magic tricks, when Beau couldn't convince them that a secret bag didn't have hidden pockets. Clearly those kids were thinkers. Overall, it was a really great party. And many many thanks to our friends who made it that way. We are blessed. 
Remember you can click on an image to see a larger version and so sorry if there are weird text breaks in this, I've never moved pictures around within a post before....

6 comments:

chris k said...

What great ideas for the party! It is so nice to have others who will help you out during weird activities and enjoy them. I have to know how you turn your pictures so they are looking the right way? I can't figure out how to do that.

Amanda Irene said...

Okay well maybe I could actually have a birthday party now. Now that I see what you did I'll just copy it! That was awesome!

Laura Wells said...

Amanda--I'll be your birthday party helper if Teagan isn't available. Chris--I don't think you can flip your photos in blogger, you need to upload to a photo program, flip them, and then upload.

TraceyLD said...

What a great party! Looks like everyone is having a great time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, this is the ancient one. Looks like you had a nice birthday party. Now that I know how to do this, I may visit again assuming I can remember how to do it.

Anonymous said...

One of our Padrinos from Coprodeli is able to sponsor a child because for his birthday, he told his guests that no gifts would be accepted but they could make a donation to The Smile Train and to sponsoring a child in Peru. What are some things Hadley is interested in that she would love to support? She'll get presents from the rest of her family, so she won't be in want.