Saturday, May 22, 2010

More Poems

Both girls got to read poems at the Handley poetry festival. It was Kassy's first time speaking on stage and she is hard to understand. But my shy girl did it twice!) Her poem was so cute. In preparing to write, we sat down and read from the Random House Book  of Poetry for Children, after 10 minutes of reading, she wanted to flip the pages herself and pick which ones would would read. She stopped at a poem about a hummingbird; she didn't want me to read it, she was thinking and then announced, "I have a poem." She rattled this baby off, with only a bit of help from me on the last line. I love that she instinctively understood the idea that poetry has rhythm, and that repetition is part of that. I also love that she came up with this poem and I don't think see's ever seen a hummingbird.


The Hummingbird Flies
by Kassy Wells
Oh the hummingbird, oh the hummingbird
It has such a long beak.
It flies all around the flowers. 
It swings and sways to wherever it goes every day.



Hadley found success with her poem last year and repeated the list pattern of last year. I helped her think of a topic and a format, but the words are hers. She certainly mastered the simile in this poem. Though truthfully, I made her redo the last line three times. (I strongly believe in editing and rewriting!)
My Goals
by Hadley Wells
To be flexible like paper,
To be teachable like birds,
To be strong like a rock,
To be brave like a tiger,
To be committed like a teacher,
To be confident like a dinosaur,
To be graceful like a swam, 
Gymnasts. 



I've learned a lesson too this year. I used to fret about the big homework projects the teachers would send home. How much help is too much? Often, parental help is necessary, but where is the line? I would get embarassed if I felt like we helped too much. I didn't want to be one of THOSE parents who made their kids turn in phenomenal projects propelled by parental interest and control.

Then, I realized the teachers knew the parents were helping. The homework in second grade was enrichment, not a main source of assessment. Anytime I looked at the displayed results of a big home project in the halls of the girls' school I could see parental marks all over. From that point on, I began to enjoy the projects. Helping Hadley create a canyon was a memory. She learned about the processes of creation and creativity and about creating a time line to get a project.  Those things wouldn't have happened without Tom's guidance. In working with me on writing assignments, Hads has gained invaluable experience. I don't accept first drafts. I emphasis organization and word choice. She couldn't learn those lessons alone.

I laugh at myself for fretting about such silly things. I taught high school English,and I expected my kids to complete their homework mostly on their own. It's taken me a few years to relax and adjust to this new homework philosophy, but now I am grateful for the big homework projects the girls get. I think they enhance their learning and create bonding in my family.

1 comment:

Amanda Irene said...

It won't be long and we will be reading updates from a far!